Friday, March 21, 2014

Car Horns: Devices of Intimidation

I think that a lot of drivers don't realize the true power of their horns; they are always inside their soundproofed cars. However, for those of us not enclosed in boxes the car horn can be deafening, and also terrifying when you aren't expecting to be blasted with one. Just the surprise of a sudden horn blast can affect the most seasoned riders, and for someone who is not confident riding among traffic it can be enough to send them back to the sidewalks.

Any person who spends enough time riding bicycles among traffic will encounter drivers that seem out to get them. I have been riding in Ottawa for almost two years now and as a big city with dense traffic the frequency of these incidents is much higher when compared with my experiences before moving here. Don't get me wrong; you can find those drivers anywhere you go. I'm sure that some of the honking drivers that I've encountered actually had good intentions, and were not honking maliciously. However, the reality is that when a motor vehicle honks at a cyclist, the cyclists first reaction is one of panic or fear. Anti-cyclist drivers are known for "buzzing" cyclists and using their horns to try and scare them.

I want to talk about a few of the different scenarios where I have encountered honking motorists, and hopefully this can be educational.

When Taking A Lane

I think the most common scenario is when taking a lane to avoid parked vehicles, especially when it involves moving out of the bike lane.
Bike lane? More like door zone.

Cyclists will move out of bike lanes if necessary in order to stay clear of the door zone of parked cars or avoid other obstacles. If this puts them in the right-most travel lane of a greater-than-two-lane road or a lane which is too narrow to safely share with another vehicle, it is safest for the cyclist to take a primary position in the lane. On roads with no lane markings, cyclists are still permitted to move away from the right hand side of the road when it is not practical for them to ride there. This is the law in Ontario, and similar allowances are made for cyclists in many other jurisdictions in North America.

When Turning Left

Vehicular-style left turns place cyclists in a more vulnerable position, between lanes of opposing traffic, in the middle of the road. Drivers are often not used to cyclists in this position, and may have an instinctual reaction to honk. I have found that other left turning drivers behind you are usually more understanding, and I can't recall ever being honked at by someone also turning left behind me.
Looks safe, right?

In an experience I had while turning left, a driver in the opposing lane honked and swerved at me, crossing over into my lane and forcing me to avoid him. I turned around and followed him a short distance. When I caught up with him and asked him to explain his actions the only explanation he could offer me was "you don't belong in the middle of the road." It's possible he didn't realize there was a turn lane there, but that still does not explain or excuse his actions.

So What is Your Point?

My point is that motorists often use their horns in situations where it is not necessary, and it almost always results in increased danger to the cyclist as they react to the noise. Horns are not there to say, "Get out of my way!" They are there to notify others of your presence when it is reasonably necessary, for example, to alert an inattentive driver. When all vehicles are being driven safely and in accordance with the law, no driver should ever find it necessary to honk at any other vehicle, and therefore neither is it necessary to honk at a cyclist who is simply going about their business and operating their vehicle in a way that complies with the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment